Universities compete in the Student Managed Investment Fund challenge
April 9, 2018
The campus recruiting team held the first annual Student Managed Investment Fund (SMIF) Competition this past week at our home office in St. Petersburg, FL, where students from seven universities vied against each other for the grand prize of $5,000 by giving stock pitch presentations.
Our campus recruiting team places significant focus on students’ development and furthering their knowledge of the financial markets. This inaugural event was intended to provide an outlet for research, presentation and constructive feedback, to give students and faculty exposure to Raymond James business leaders, and to recruit students into internship opportunities and other pipeline programs at the firm.
CEO Paul Reilly kicked off the event, which was well attended, including COO Dennis Zank, CHRO Stan Duncan as well as many leaders from business units across the firm.
To judge the competition, the following Raymond James leaders made up the panel:
- Chris Butler, Senior Vice President, PCG Investment Products
- Erina Ford, Director of Mutual Fund Research
- Mercedes Sanchez Van Woerkem, Managing Director, Equity Research
- George Raffa, Senior Vice President, Asset Management Services Sales & Consulting
- Matt Johnson, Vice President, Strategy & Product Development
- Chris Davitt, Senior Vice President, Regional Director
- Tom Layton, Vice President, Product Management
The margins were razor thin when it came time to select a winner. So much so that Dennis Zank and Chris Davitt donated a collective $3,000 from their budgets in order to create a second place prize package.
University of South Florida took home first place, with University of North Florida coming in second.
"The presentations that each of the seven universities made were impressive, as well as their ability to answer very detailed questions from the judging panel. Congratulations to all the participants on a job well done," said Dennis Zank.
Thank you to all seven universities who participated!
- Florida International University
- University of Alabama
- University of Arkansas
- University of Miami
- University of North Florida
- University of South Carolina
- University of South Florida